May 21, 2011

Ye Olde Clipper

Bonjour!

I've been away for quite some time, yes?  It's been two weeks of preparing for finals, the end of school and upcoming events for the summer.  In addition, I've been wrapping up some personal art projects, and preparing several new templates for the upcoming issues of Paper Crafters Sampler

Now that I've caught up (a bit), I'd like to share something I've put together for Father's Day.  It's an 8" x 10" framed artwork and I call it "Ye Olde Clipper".



I LOVE the way it turned out.  The image is from My Digital Studio's "The Open Sea".  Here's a few more images.









Interested in making one for your dad, father or that special gentleman in your life?  It's fairly simple.  Here's what you'll need to do.

You'll start by inserting The Open Sea  digital stamp brush set into your document, scaling it up to the size you'd like.  Print the image onto 2 sheets of Natural Ivory cardstock (one will be your base and one will be for cutting).

A laser jet printer will work best if you don't want your lines to bleed, but I used an inkjet print.  If you use an inkjet, try to handle the cardstock from the edges to prevent extra smudging.  Some smudging is OK as it gives the look of being worn and aged.  You can always spray a light coat of spray fixative on top.

Start with one of the printed images, adding watercolor around the perimeter of main image.  I used watercolor crayons and a paintbrush for blending.  Let this sheet dry. 

Take the second print and apply color to the sails.  If you've used the inkjet printer and didn't seal the ink, be sure to add color gently as to not fade the printed image.

Cut out the top-most sails and bend gently to give shape.  Apply dimensional or foam mounts beneath the sails to lift.  Once the sails are attached, use a needle and black thread to add lines to the ship.  Don't feel that you need to follow the same lines on the ship.  You'll want a few to be offset; it adds to the originality of your piece.

That's it!  I hope you enjoy creating Ye Olde Clipper of your own.


23 comments:

Shelly Schmidt said...

Wow- this is beautiful!!!

Unknown said...

Wow, that is just beautiful.

Vicky W said...

Melanie, this is absolutely STUNNING! You have odne such a fantastic job at creating this. I love your blog!

Debby said...

OMG this is awesome! My hubby was a Navy man and he would love this. Fantastic job I know the one receiving this is going to love it.
angel hugs
Debby

Vanessa Zhong said...

You did a great job! I love it so much I'm going to try to do it myself. Thanks for the idea.

Kathy said...

This is amazing !

Alysabeth said...

Great Job:o)

JanTink said...

Wow. Just wow!

Debbie Martin said...

Just a wonderful job! Now I might have to buy that download.
www.cleverandcute.blogspot.com

Elin K. said...

This is AMAZING! I'd like to give you a shout out on my blog - let me know if you would rather I wouldn't. :)

Thank you so much for sharing!

Elin K.

Lorrinda said...

WOW Melanie! Just a moment while I pick my jaw off the keyboard...
This. Is. Fabulous!

Cynthia Ferenz said...

Gorgeous! May have to CASE this for my DH, who was a Navy man as well (like Debby's)! I know he would love this!

Cynthia Ferenz
Proud Parent of 2 Soldiers

PaulaD said...

I don't comment often (though I know I should :), but this is absolutely wonderful! I love it!
Thank you so much for sharing!!

Deb said...

Absolutely Fabulous! Almost makes me want to purchase MDS and I'm pretty computer challenged. A truly awesome project. TFS.

Hetty said...

WOW!!! Melanie, this is an awesome project and sooooo beautifully done. I am sure this will be appriciated.

Created By You said...

Wow... I was going to ask how big the frame was and then read you used the digital stamp, LOL. Very pretty TFS.
Sharon F.

BLJ Graves Studio said...

Fabulous project!

RuthieB said...

This is stunning!!!! It is such an awesome example that MDS is not just a scrapbooking software but so much more!

Ellen Barner said...

Just beautiful. Thanks for the Fathers Day inspiration. I was looking for an idea fir two classes that I have coming up. I'm going to adapt this. I'll post pictures on stampin addict.

Terri said...

I'll say this again, AWESOME, AWESOME & AWESOME! Maybe one of these I'll take another chance on MDS & do this project!

Anonymous said...

Melanie,

Can I hire you to make me one? Please email me at monica@addalittledazzle.com to discuss price and more.

Thanks so much,

Monica Weaver
www.addalittledazzle.com

Connie Collins said...

Absolutely stunning! Your attention to detail is amazing!

Cristina said...

This is SO amazing! I purchased this download last night, so I may just have to case this! Gorgeous job.