November 28, 2011

Vintage Ice Boot Sleeve

In all my life (and that's been a while), I've only tried Ice Skating 5 times or less indoor ice rinks.   Never really could get the hang of balancing on those blades without having my inner ankles using the ice as support.  Of course, if there were more frozen lakes in the South I'd probably have more time to practice. 

Who doesn't love the images associated with winter.  Sleds, snow tipped evergreens and pom pom mittens are a welcoming site from those toasty summer days.  Soon many will be lacing up their ice skates for a spin on the ice.

Take a look at this skate.  Nothing makes a fashion statement for a skater than a satin dress with a furry ruffle.


While there's more freedom for leg movement in today's skating garments, I would image the older garments helped protect your derriere from getting iced.  You can check out some other beautiful vintage ice skating images HERE.



Here's a little something I put together in tribute to those who have mastered those icy ponds, a vintage ice boot sleeve .  The boot is designed to tuck a gift tag or bookmark (as shown below) inside.  The main boot was run through the holiday stocking bigz die.  The template has been modified a (shaved off a bit of the base and straightened it vertically)  to create a more 'skate-like' appearance.













Don't forget to mark your calendars for the Paper Crafters Sampler Adorned Holiday blog hop scheduled for December 1st!


8 comments:

Christyne said...

This is just lovely! I never met my Nanny, but I imagine that maybe she did skate and this made me think of her. Thank you for making me smile (with a few tears, but it's all good).

Have a wonderful day!

Kim said...

very pretty! thanks for sharing

Vicky W said...

Just beautiful Melanie. Your boot captures the feel of the ice & skating perfectly, well what I imagine it to be like. The Bookmark is also stunning.

BeverlyBL said...

What a lovely vintage boot skate. I image it's not too different from the shoes they wore. It's just perfect. I got here from Kim Score's site.

Michelle Langefeld said...

would love it if you offered a tutorial with template...I'd pay for this for sure...this is beautiful

Susan B said...

Just STUNNING !
Susan B.

Ms said...

I love your boot. Not sure how you did the blade part but what a gorgeous and clever idea this is... thx for sharing....

Heidi Baks said...

Beautiful!